AODA Accessibility Policy
The “Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act” was passed in 2005 and all organizations have to comply by December 1st, 2012.
In order to comply, Markham Mazda has developed strategies that take into account individuals with disabilities. Customers will be able to use their own personal assistive devices when accessing Markham Mazda services, and in the event, that the assistive device presents a safety concern or where accessibility may be an issue, Markham Mazda will take every reasonable measure to ensure access of services by the customer with respect and sensitivity.
Markham Mazda employees have been trained to ensure compliance to the act, in such but not limited to the following:
• How to interact and communicate with various types of disabilities;
• How to interact with people who use assistive devices – such as the assistance of guide dogs, service animals, or the use of a support person;
• Developed policies, procedures and practices surrounding the legislation;
• As a point of note, Markham Mazda has implemented most, if not all of this, well before the introduction of the “Act”, starting with the initial design of our building for accessibility and parking designations, doors, washrooms, curbing, drive through service and general interior and exterior designs.
If you require any further info, please contact Michael Chong, General Manager 905 294-1210
Accessible Customer Service Plan – Markham Mazda
Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
Markham Mazda is committed to excellence in serving all customers, including people with disabilities.
Assistive Devices – We will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices we have on site that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
Communication – We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
Service animals – We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
Support persons – A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises. There will not be any fees charged for support persons.
Notice of temporary disruption – In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, Markham Mazda will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its’ anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. The notice will be placed at Reception and at the Service Desk.
Training – Markham Mazda will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on our behalf. Individuals in the following positions will be trained: Managers, Receptionists, Sales Consultants, Service Advisors, Customer Service Representatives and Parts personnel. This training will be provided to appropriate staff within 3 weeks of their start date.
Training will include:
• An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
• Markham Mazda’s plan related to the customer service standard
• How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
• How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
• How to use the automatic door openers
• What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Markham Mazda.
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to our plan.
Feedback process – Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Markham Mazda provides goods and services to people with disabilities can express their concerns verbally to any staff member or by email to email@example.com. All feedback, including complaints, will be directed to the Controller to evaluate and take any necessary corrective measures. Customers can expect to hear back from Markham Mazda within 7 business days.
Modifications to this or other policies – Any policy of Markham Mazda that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.